Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Little Inspiration

Just a quick note to add this picture of a padded silk velvet heart embellished with a gorgeous piece of vintage beading, half of an Edwardian buckle and a photo pin.  I wear it on my coat lapel or as the centerpiece on a vintage lace colored blouse.  I made it years ago and just found it in a drawer recently.  Actually, it is inspiring me to get out the old lace, etc., and make another one or two.  Easy enough - just find (or make) a heart pattern the size and shape that suits you.  Cut two hearts out of a piece of fabric (soft velvet is nice, but you can use any fabric - I think a faded vintage print would be wonderful, or turn a piece wrong side out to show the much more faded side).  Sew it up with wrong sides together - this gives you a little ledge to attach your edge trimming.  Then cut a slit in the back and push in a little bit of stuffing.  Don't make it too full or stiff - you want it to be soft.  Then get in your vintage stash drawer and pull out your very best stuff.  Drape it, dangle it, collage it - just have a good time until it pleases your eye.  I always like to have a focal piece, so I usually finish with a brooch or a particularly lovely piece of bric-a-brac.  Just somewhere for your eye to rest.  The possibilities are endless and the results can be stunning. 

5 comments:

  1. Breathtaking and to think it was hidden away in a drawer. I like to pin things like this on a pillow so I can enjoy them everyday. Creative Hearts are Happy Hearts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Odd how we tuck our treasures away time to time. I am glad you found it.Your muse was saving inspiration for a rainy day perhaps..very lovely.
    susan salyer

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow Carole, your work is fabulous! Hugs, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very beautiful. I love all the beading around the edges. Makes it truly magestic. I already get your newsletter, and I am now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carole, I must have been hiding under a rock because I didn't know you had a blog. I have bought many things from you over the years but didn't realize about the blog. I just love everything you create..you are one of the most incredible artists!! If you do have a moment please stop by my site: babiesbridesandlavender.com I would love to have your comments. I am still adding many more items. I will definitely be following your blog. Thank you for your beautiful website. diane@babiesbridesandlavender.

    ReplyDelete